Skip to toolbar

Quick question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    The Hired Help
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>my work has started requiring face masks . is it normal to feel faint while having a covering on your face?</p>

poppy
    Participant

my work has started requiring face masks . is it normal to feel faint while having a covering on your face?

The face mask should not cause it directly. I suspect the likelihood is that because you are not used to it, you are hyper ventilating and that will cause you to feel faint as you are blowing off too much carbon dioxide. It’s why when someone has a panic attack, you get them to breath into a paper bag. 😉

"'Will you walk into my parlour?' said the Spider to the Fly."

i am baby blue and i am proud to be owned by Sapphire Storm

1 user thanked author for this post.
    The Hired Help
    Participant

Would a face shield be better?

Jacqueline

I’m not a doctor, although I played one on The Lacy Place for years. But I think the mask is better at containing any tiny droplets you exhale better than a face shield. And that is the main reason for wearing a mask. Try wearing one around the house to become accustomed to it. Is it an approved commercial mask? A home made mask may restrict the air to much, causing you to struggle with getting enough air. Let us know how you are doing. Hugs

1 user thanked author for this post.
    poppy
    Participant

I am not a Doctor either though I did start medical training and did the first two years until another profession seemed a better way to go. I also had to study physiology as part of that new profession. The bodies breathing reflex is normally controlled not by the oxygen we require but to blow off the correct amount of carbon dioxide. If you blow off too much, the acidity of the blood changes and that is what caused the fainting. Once you have fainted you can no longer override the normal reflex and your breathing returns to normal. It is a question of getting used to it as Jacqueline says. It is a bit of a circle though. You are now worried about it because you felt faint and that worry will make you more prone to hyper ventilating. A face shield will not affect your breathing itself. What it may do is alter your perception of it and so reduce your “panic” at wearing a mask.

"'Will you walk into my parlour?' said the Spider to the Fly."

i am baby blue and i am proud to be owned by Sapphire Storm

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2020 Melissa Daniels & Renee Carter-Daniels

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account